
As I walked in the door of the little soup kitchen a pleasant sight greeted me. People sat at the tables visiting and chatting with each other. A warm feeling of happiness filled the small room. As I began talking with the old women, the injured men I realized that these people were not all that different from myself.Of course I have plenty of food and they have none, but I realized that they were just people that needed God's love too. As I began serving the tasty food their eagerness, their excitement broke my heart. The looks of sheer joy on their faces at the food I am so privileged to enjoy every day humbled me. Suddenly my problems seemed minor and inconsequential. As I looked them each in the eye, instead of seeing dirty, weather worn old women and raggedy little children I saw souls longing for Jesus’ love. It brought me joy to see that my little act of kindness, just a few hours out of my busy day brought so much happiness to these people. As I sat on the floor playing a wild game of duck, duck goose with these tiny kids I realized that there was no where I would rather be. I was just a fifteen-year-old girl trying to feed the souls of the people around me and I feel like I was blessed even more than I was a blessing. Apparently my joy showed through my face because as I was walking out a shiny faces old man smiled at me and said "Girl, your smile could light up the darkest room".
No comments:
Post a Comment